skip navigation

RECAP: KHFC Ladies Battle for Win at Home Opener

By Kings Hammer FC, 05/26/24, 12:30PM EDT


Highland Heights, KY (May 25, 2024) – In a highly anticipated home opener against first place Lexington SC, Kings Hammer FC displayed grit and determination to secure a thrilling 2-1 victory at Scudamore Field.

In a battle of two halves, the KHFC back line was put under immediate pressure, with Lexington SC controlling possession off the opening kick. In the opening 10 minutes, LSC applied a high press, but KHFC was able to play through with some out great passing to play out of pressure.

In the 10th minute, KHFC had their best chance of the match to that point, as McKenzie Carle received the ball at the midfield line. With acres of space, Carle sprinted forward, bursting past the left center back for LSC, finally shooting a ball across the face of goal aiming towards the back post. The ball would go just wide of the post.

Just moments later, the tide would shift back in favor of Lexington SC on the way to their opening goal. In the 12th minute, Lexington would swing the ball to the far side of the pitch. Autumn Weeks of LSC shed her defender with some fancy footwork and played a through ball to forward Katelyn Fishnick. In an awkward turn of events, Fishnick crossed the ball into a crashing Elizabeth Dawahare, but the midfielder would tie legs with Ellie Greenwood falling in the process. While on the ground the ball would deflect off Dawahare and right into the path of Lexington’s Kailey Utley. Utley would slot the ball under the KHFC keeper Maria Galley, to take a 1-0 lead.

In the 16th minute, KHFC’s Galley was right back in the thick of it, this time keeping her team in a one goal game. In a similar buildup to the first goal, the ball was swung wide to Carola Fontan, who would cut inside, bursting into the box. Taking a shot from the keepers left, Galley would go airborne, pushing a shot to her near post over the top of the net to keep the score 1-0.

The next 20 minutes of play would be evenly matched from both teams, with neither side looking likely to add to the scoreboard. However as the clock hit 45 minutes, KHFC would have two great series of play in added time, gaining momentum heading into the half. At 45’ +1, Natalie Bain would make a run all the way from her centerback position. Running down the right side of the pitch, Bain would eventually shoot across goal with Lexington’s keeper, Taylor Fox, making a great save to keep KHFC off the board. Two minute later at 45’+3, McKenzie Carle would again make her presence known, as she ran onto on a misplaced header from the LSC backline. With the keeper closing in, Carle would take a shot from the top of the 18, with the ball going over the top of the net to close the half.

Keeping momentum entering the second half, it wouldn’t be long before KHFC found their equalizer. In the 50th minute, KHFC moved the ball from the near side to the far side of the pitch, finding  Ellie Greenwell in space. Greenwell, eyeing teammates making runs to the back post, one touch crossed the ball in. After going over the head of the first runner, the ball found it’s way to Lilly Yordy, making the second run. In an attempt to close down space, Lexington’s Autumn Weeks had her arms extended as Yordy swung the ball back towards center, hitting Weeks on the arm, drawing a handball penalty in the box. Stepping up to the spot, Yordy would shoot low and to the left side of the goal, sliding the ball under a diving Lexington keeper.

Keeping Lexington under constant pressure to start the second half, Kings Hammer FC would take the lead for good in the 57th minute. While in the 56th minute, KHFC leftback Lilly Yordy, would crash down the sideline while on the counter. Crossing the ball towards center, the LSC centerback would miss-hit the ball, letting the ball roll out for a corner kick. Yordy, from the near corner, whipped the ball in, finding the head of Sydney Taylor. Taylor would place the ball to the left side of goal, against the keepers momentum who was trying to get back into position after initially make an attempt to reach the ball herself.

Over the next 15 minutes, the match would settle with both teams having spurts of possession along with chances on goal. KHFC would have another great opportunity in the 65th minute as McKenzie Carle would again find herself in prime position. Cutting in from the right flank off a counter attack, Carle would get a shot off towards the back post, just missing as the ball would bounce off the woodwork.

During the final 20 minutes of the match, KHFC would have to dig in defensively as Lexington SC pushed for the tying goal. With just four subs available for the evening, each player on the pitch for KHFC had to push through exhaustion to secure victory. Following the match KHFC head coach, Jacob Morrison spoke on his teams resilience.

“We had to battle. Third game of the week. A ton of minutes on these legs. We challenged them to go out and battle for the 90…Coming from behind and getting a victory at our home opener always feels special.”

KHFC’s W League squad will face St. Charles FC in back to back games, first making the trip to St. Louis next weekend, on Saturday June 1. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m. Stream information will be made available closer to the match.


Lexington SC at Kings Hammer FC
Date: 05/26/2024
Competition: USL W League
Venue: Scudamore Field
Attendance: 70
Kickoff: 7pm
Weather: 84 degrees, clear and sunny

LEX: 2-1-0
KHFC: 1-1-1

LEX SC – Kailey Utley 12’

KHFC – Lilly Yordy (PK) 50’

Syd Taylor – 57’ (assist by Lilly Yordy)

KHFC – Cochran (Yellow Card) 95’
KHFC – Otto (Red Card) 96’ (KHFC bench)


Referee: Erin Patterson
Ast. Referees: Jaryn Errol, Alex Kallincov
Fourth Official: Drew Harris