skip navigation

RECAP: KHFC Take a Loss 2-1 Against Fort Wayne FC

By Kings Hammer FC, 06/03/24, 2:15PM EDT


Highland Heights, KY (June 2, 2024) – Coming off of a 3-game week, Kings Hammer FC’s USL League Two match against Fort Wayne FC ended in a loss, 2-1. 

The game started off with some strong connections from Kings Hammer FC resulting in an early goal for the team in the 9th minute. Following a service from midfielder Anthony Samways, defender Caleb Frakes, was able to chip Fort Wayne FC’s keeper Aurie Briscoe from about 25 yards out, finding the net and putting Kings Hammer on the board. KHFC was able to maintain heavy possession for the first 15 minutes of the game, pressing into Fort Wayne’s defensive line, until FWFC was able to intervene and turn the tables. They took their first shot on goal in the 16th minute, giving way for a spectacular diving-collapse save from KHFC goalkeeper Jack Moxom.

FWFC’s forward Brandon Bermingham collapsed to the ground in the 18th minute resulting in the officials calling for a stop in play. As Bermingham stood up, KHFC defensive player Ekene Okeke set up for the restart. Upon the whistle, FWFC’s forward Gijs Hovius made an untraditional decision to press the defender, stirring confusion on the field and a response from Okeke. Okeke was issued a yellow card warning in the 19th minute and Fort Wayne was granted a penalty kick inside of the box. Fort Wayne’s Aaron Sanchez secured the goal from the penalty kick shortly thereafter in the 20th minute.

Growing tensions on the pitch following this play resulted in two more yellow cards for KHFC, one for forward Brock Kiper in the 33th minute and another for Fajardo in the 45th minute. Play became back-and-forth heavy and both teams walked off for the half time with a goal for themselves on the board.

Kicking off the second half, Fort Wayne FC didn’t waste any time to begin to apply pressure. Bermingham was able to take a shot on goal for FWFC, but was denied by Moxom. Moxom was able to hold off Fort Wayne FC back to back in the 55th and 56th minute, allowing Kings Hammer to flip the script and send it back down the field. KHFC’s Kiper had an opportunity to take the lead. He intercepted the ball and received it. Resembling Frakes goal from previously in the match, Kiper attempted to chip FWFC’s Briscoe, but the ball was just off target of the goal, landing to the keepers left.

A tired Kings Hammer FC team tried to keep up with Fort Wayne FC who was able to exploit the exhaustion of KHFC’s defensive line. Coming in fresh from the bench just two minutes before, FWFC’s Aboubacar Traore was able to zip through and score the match-winning goal in the 75th minute. Kings Hammer was able to bar Fort Wayne from scoring again for the rest of the second half.

Looking ahead to their next match on the road against Cleveland Force SC, head coach Paul Nicholson is prioritizing letting the team rest and recover, saying,

“I think a week to recuperate first off. It’s been a stretch of a lot of games, and you can kind of see that…our legs started to get a little bit heavy. That’s certainly where [Fort Wayne FC] got their second goal from…Rest will help. Refocusing and preparing for Cleveland over the next week will be a pleasant change considering we’ve typically had 1-2 days of rest and preparation for the games.”



Cleveland Force SC at Kings Hammer FC

Date: 06/3/2024

Competition: USL 2

Venue: Scudamore Stadium

Kickoff: 7pm

Weather: 76 degrees, partly cloudy




KHFC – Tyler Murphy 8’

FWFC  – Aaron Sanchez 20’

FWFC – Aboubacar Traore 75’


KHFC – Okeke (Yellow Card) 19’

KHFC – Kiper (Yellow Card) 33’

KHFC – Fajardo (Yellow Card) 45’ 

FWFC – Hernandez (Yellow Card) 68’

KHFC - Dreas (Yellow Card) 90’ +4