skip navigation

RECAP: KHFC Men hold their own against Toledo Villa FC with a 1-1 draw

By Kings Hammer FC, 07/05/24, 12:00PM EDT


Highland Heights, KY (July 5th, 2024) - The Kings Hammer FC Men’s match against Toledo Villa FC ended in a draw this past Tuesday, 1-1. 

Off of the whistle, there was an almost immediate foul called on Ben Painter as he made a slide right into Toledo goalkeeper, Sebastian Dopplehoffer. This first foul set the tone for the passion that would be on full display for the entirety of the match. Just a few minutes later, Kings Hammer FC’s Daniel Samways is able to take their first shot on goal, but Dopplehoffer is able to make the save. In another moment of tension, Kings Hammer’s Samway’s was trampled by Toledo’s Odal Brown as both went to the ground. The referee was quick to blow the whistle and break the two up. Toledo would take their first shot on goal in the 23rd minute as Eli Shope stepped up to the box, but KHFC keeper Chad Smith was able to make an incredible jumping save. 

As the match approached the 30 minute mark, both teams had a few goal opportunities, but neither had found the net. In the 33rd minute, the first yellow card of the match was presented to Toledo’s Francis Kwashie. Perhaps due to the disappointment in the previously issued yellow card, Toledo’s Cam Territo fouled KHFC forward Brock Kiper in the box, gifting KHFC a penalty kick. Kiper stepped up to take the kick and sunk it right into the back of the net, putting Kings Hammer on the board. While this would be the only goal of the first half, the remainder of the half was not without drama. Kings Hammer was issued 3 yellow cards and Toledo was issued 1 in the final 5 minutes of the half. As the teams returned to their locker rooms for halftime, the scoreboard read 1-0, Kings Hammer FC.

As the players returned to the pitch for the second half, the drive to secure a win against the other was still very evident. Both teams continued to play aggressively but neither could get a solid shot at the goal. In an attempt to flip the script in their favor, Toledo Villa FC decided to make a handful of substitutions in the 59th minute. Both teams subbed back and forth, Toledo was hoping to put a goal on the board and Kings Hammer was determined not to let that happen. KHFC received 2 more yellow card warnings in the second half as both teams continued to play with an unwavering assertiveness. 

As the clock inched towards 90 minutes, Toledo Villa FC would receive a penalty kick they could use to go for the equalizer. Toledo’s Taylor Dyson approached the ball to take the shot, and found the back of the net putting the score at 1-1 in the 89th minute. Neither team would find the goal again in the remainder of added stoppage time, and the match ended in a draw.

We caught up with head coach Paul Nicholson after the match. Reflecting on the most recent previous matches and how the team played Tuesday, Nicholson said,

“It was a tough game, but I was really proud of the boys. They did everything we asked of them before the game. There’s been a bit of a lack of desire to get results, but the boys were fighting today and really working hard for each other. I think the talent is clearly there, some of the football they’ve played this year has been fantastic…it’s just grinding out the results and getting the points that we probably deserve.”

Looking forward to their final home match of the season, he continued,

“I’m hoping to see more of what we saw tonight. It’s our last home game, last chance for them to play in front of our fans. The fights there, I know they can play football...they can play lovely football. It’s about showing more heart and more desire like they did tonight.”

Kings Hammer FC’s USL League 2 team will have their final home match of the season on Saturday, July 6th against Dayton Dutch Lions FC at 7pm. Fans can attend the game at Scudamore Stadium or tune into the stream on Sports Engine Play.